The Smiling Coast of Africa

*These are my personal views, opinions, and ramblings and do not necessarily reflect those of the United States government or The Peace Corps.

Monday, May 22, 2006

Old friends rock....

I had a great and slightly random conversation with an old friend the other night. I haven't spoken to him in months but that never seems to matter with our relationship. We were discussing life and the directions that it takes us as we grow up and enter the "real world" - if that even really exists. We got into the classic discussion for young twenty-somethings about what to do with our lives and our careers, to go corporate or not to go corporate. He was just so encouraging with the decisions that I have chosen in my life at a time when I really needed to hear someone say I was doing the right thing by following my heart.

I rarely feel judged or crazy for going to "play with the orphans in Africa" by my family and friends because you all are so awesome, but sometimes I get the looks from acquaintances or co-workers. The look that just says "oh that's nice, but you get no money? How will you live, what about your career, your life?" The rational side of me says that PC service is a part of my career and its true. I am doing it in part to further my career, but that is just a small fraction. I am doing it because it is what I feel called to do. Deep down I am at my happiest when I am helping others and able to let go of all the silly, trivial things that unnecessarily complicate American life. I guess I am just living up to the big bro's impression of my life as "experience centered rather than goal centered." At first I was bothered by that comment, but now I see it as a huge compliment.

My conversation with my friend reminded me of all the reasons I signed up for PC in the first place, just when I was letting all the logistical planning cloud my vision and priorities. Its so simple yet so true..."you were happiest when you were on Semester at Sea, over there helping all those people and exploring. Do what makes you happy."

So shout outs and much love to all my awesome friends and family that have stood by me throughout this process, encouraging me and supporting me through minor freak outs and major decisions. I couldn't of gotten through this without any of you and I am going to miss you like crazy. Start planning trips to West Africa now.

Side note: My grandmother just called me at work: "Do you think they need grandmothers to rock the babies in Africa?" This woman is my hero.

1 Comments:

Blogger Todd said...

Hey Becca, great to hear from you. I keep hearing more and more from our training group, and it gets me very excited to meet you all. From the look of your blog you've already spent some time in Africa, so you'll have to hook us up with some cross cultural tips you have picked up. :) Best wishes, and heck yeah we'll party hearty!

7:55 PM, May 22, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home