The Smiling Coast of Africa

*These are my personal views, opinions, and ramblings and do not necessarily reflect those of the United States government or The Peace Corps.

Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Go with all your heart........

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart" ~ Confucius

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I am a nut for good quotes. It is not because I can't think of anything original on my own, I just really appreciate wise words spoken by wise people - so I use them. This one is definitely a mantra.

I spoke to some people from the Placement Office and had to resumbit an essay and answer some questions about my involvement in my church. They wanted to make sure that living in a community that would most likely be made of people with opposing views on religion than my own would not be a problem for me. I assured them that I understood that I was going there to serve in the Peace Corps, not to be a missionary. So I think things are cool.

I understand why these questions had to be asked but it caught me a bit off gaurd that I was asked them and judgement placed on my future behaviors because of my religious affiliation. I am not even one to evangalize and in fact the whole idea of it makes me a bit squeamish. I guess I just had a problem with them lumping me in a specific category of people or having potential behaviors because they knew I attended church. One's faith and belief systems are a lot more complex then a simple label.

But enough ranting, at least I know that the placement office is reviewing my application and things are at least underway!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home