The Smiling Coast of Africa

*These are my personal views, opinions, and ramblings and do not necessarily reflect those of the United States government or The Peace Corps.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

The trials of packing for two years....

So I figured it might be a good idea to start wrap my head around things that I will need for the next two years. While I am by no means packing for an entire 2 years (I will get the majority of my stuff in The Gambia), I need to pack enough to get me through 8 weeks of training when I have not a cent to my name. All of my stuff has to be less than 80lbs. So, I am trying to be as practical as possible - which can be hard when you start to think of all the little stupid stuff that Americans take for granted that I am going to miss like crazy. A cold beverage for example. I have been told that electricity is notoriously unreliable and in most cases non-existent. That eliminates a whole host of things right there.

As I am making my list I have realized that I own absolutely no practical shoes. I have also learned that practical shoes are expensive so it looks like in addition to shelling out for a internal frame backpack I will also need to buy some Chacos and some respectable work shoes that won't look too terribly dorky.

Also found an interesting tidbit about Gambian's attitudes towards a woman's knees. Apparently having your knees visible is the equivalent of flashing someone. I definitely don't want to send the message that I am some kind of Gambian hussy so I am trying to find clothes that will definitely cover my knees at all times. This is actually kind of hard in the American clothing market, unless of course I want to look like a total dork.

I think I am going to look pretty dorky the entire time I away - they just don't make fashion forward travel clothes. I will be a prime candidate for a makeover tv special when I get back.

Lesson of the Day: Obsolete Technology is terribly expensive. Case in point - Short Wave AM/FM radio = $149!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Becca,

Try LL Bean for a short wave radio ($39.95). My son, who is a PCV in Niger loves his and I guess everyone there got their's from LL Bean. They come in funky colors too! Best of luck to you in the Gambia and congrats on your posting.

Sabra Massey (PeaceBass's Mom)

2:45 AM, May 14, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home