The Smiling Coast of Africa

*These are my personal views, opinions, and ramblings and do not necessarily reflect those of the United States government or The Peace Corps.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Random observations....

Since I am still on med hold for my mysterious allergic reaction, I have been getting to know life in Kombo (Banjul metro area) a little bit better over the past couple of days.... and it's weird.

There are definitely perks: cold drinks, swimming in the ocean, movies at the hostel. But there are also weird juxtaposition that you could only find in a developing country.

Yesterday, I was riding home from the beach in the back of my Liberian friends BMW listening to a Phil Collin's greatest hits, his sounds system even has a little video screen mounted on the dashboard so we could watch Phil dance in his music video. Later that night a bunch of us headed down to Senegambia, the tourist section of town, that has a handful of bars, clubs and restaurants targeting the European tourists and rich (relatively speaking) people that live in Gambia. It was a totally enjoyable, but strange day considering that a couple days before I was trying to teach a 4th grade how to read that word "chair".

It is just a strange, surreal feeling to think that I can have a day laying on the beach, watching Phil Collins dance and going out to a bar and that a mere 20 K away is my little village of Njongon where kids are in the fields harvesting coos, many who will in all likely hood not pass their exams to get into high school and will therefore be harvesting coos for the rest of their lives. It's just crazy to reconcile the two worlds that are so close geographically but so far apart in reality. The whole experience has really re-opened my eyes to tourism in developing countries. The tourists that visit the beaches and walk about the city, visiting markets think they have "seen" the real Gambia, but in reality what they experience is all a front. I definitely am not trying to condemn tourism in developing countries and recognize that it brings a lot of very needed money into the country but tourism also is the cause of a lot of the countries problems - sex tourism (for both genders) and gross inequalities between the rich minority and poor masses being the two most obvious. The whole experience has just opened my eyes and caused me to look a lot more critically about how I have traveled in the past and how I will travel in the future and the effect that my presence as a tourist has on the local community.

This is yet another issue in this country that I will prob think about for a long time and never come up with any real solution, but at least I am thinking....right? But that is part of the reason why I am here, to think and learn and hopefully get a handle on some of this stuff before I go back to school. Here's hoping I will be able to sort some of this stuff out in my head in the coming 2 years...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becca,

Mazunga, white person in Swahili...recalling my first travels to East Africa I was wondering Becca what smells,natural sounds, music etc. you encounter the first hours of daylight and the same for in the twilight hours? In regards to your comments on tourism, only those who are fortunate enough to spend quality time (as you)in a foreign country and learn the language, customs, history, trials &tribulations, etc. can truly appreciate and understand the people and their pride for their country. In turn the people of The Gambia will appreciate you as a visitor to their country much more then the Mazunga (white person) who is a tourist and only there momentarily. The biggest problem with tourist who visit only for a short period of time is that they inflate prices especially in the rural areas and the local people depend on that income and forget or discontinue their local customs over time strictly for the money. I saw this in the rural parts of Africa with the Masaii. They would get hostile with the tourist if they would not pay the infalted price or buy some of their items.

All our Love,
Uncle Jon & Aunt Ruthie

11:28 PM, November 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Becca, how are you doing? We miss you- I went shopping today at King of Prussia mall and bought a really cool sweater at Old Navy and a camisole to go underneath. Lindsay and I ran a Red Raider Challenge (1.5 miles) and I finished in 12 minutes! The run was very tiring and I passed 15 people! Love you!!!

11:33 PM, November 11, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home